Saturday 29 August 2020

Meet My Pets

 


Let me introduce my pets (my furry babies!) to you...





This is Lego. He is 6 years old. He likes to chill. He is scared of pretty much everything, likes fresh fish fillets, chicken and green peas, chasing flies, sleeping on the window sill in the sun, and cuddling in his mummy's arms (ie me!). He has a very specific eating ritual with his wet food. Once I put his bowl down, I need to sit on my meditation cushion right next to him, stroke him a few times, tap on his bowl, keep stroking and tell him he's a good cat! A bit long-winded, I know. Does that sound like a spoilt cat? Yep!

He was born in a farm, from a litter of 6 kittens. When the kittens were one week old, the mum was run over by a tractor. The owners were devastated by their cat's death and they decided to give away the kittens once they'd be weaned and ready for solid food. 
Funnily enough, I'd never really been a cat person. Yes, they're cute but I was always scared of cats. One day, years ago, a stray cat came into my house when my front door was open while I was chatting, and went straight up to the top of my staircase! I had to ask my friend to go and pick him up because I was too scared he would scram me!
One of my colleagues in my previous job was a friend of these farmers. She told me about her friends' cat and the kittens, that they were giving them away, and showed me a photo of one of the kittens on her Facebook. All of a sudden, I heard myself say, "I'll have this one"! Where did that come from?!! On that day, at that particular instant, I made a commitment to this little ball of fur that instantly took my heart. Every day, I would ask my colleague how the kittens were doing, especially mine. I felt so much love for him already and I hadn't even met him yet. After 2/3 weeks, he was the only one who survived from the whole litter. I have always known that it was because he could already feel he was so very loved.
He came into our home when he was about 4/5 weeks old. Here he is:




He was so tiny that he would go through the bars of the carry cage! It was a surprise for my son (I hadn't told him anything, just in case Lego wouldn't survive like his brothers and sisters). The look on his face when he realised Lego was now a part of our little family - unforgettable! I still have the photo in my mind.

Destiny brought him to us to add something extra, something special to our little family unit.

Then came 2018 and Maya (named after the incredible Maya Angelou).



Maya was born literally 4 houses away from us. Our neighbour kindly entrusted us with being her new family.

Although neutered, Lego was getting a little bit rough and I thought company would help him. And also Maya looked so cute with her white moustache and her cow print markings. Again, heart taken within seconds! She came to our home when she was just over 2 months old.


At first, Lego hissed at her, then he went to hide under my bed and would't get out. For a while, I had to give him his food under my bed. It made the feeding ritual above a little bit more challenging for me, for sure. After all, I'm not big but I'm not that small; I don't fit under my bed! It took quite some time taking turns with my son to make sure he had the same attention as Maya. And all this time, the little miss just wanted to play. She would look at him and go to him with excitement like, "Will you play with me? Will you be my friend?" while he was like "Leave me alone". Having Maya around really calmed him down. I guess he matured a bit more. If she was in trouble though (or causing trouble) he would still keep an eye on her, make sure she was OK, and come to alert me with his meowing. Now - it took about a year! - they play together, taking turns chasing each other. It's so cute. It fills my heart with pure, unfiltered joy when I see them play together.

So Maya - Maya is a little diva, she struts her thing chin high like the whole world belongs to her! She's pretty rough, even when she cuddles us, you get a proper headbutt that you will feel even after she's moved on! She likes food - pretty much anything that is comestible - she loves to play with foam tennis balls and anything that dangles, and watch out if there is a spider or an insect on the window! She literally throws herself full force and, if she gets it, she eats it! Yep. Gross, I know. The poor creature, whatever it is, does not stand a chance. She is pretty lethal!
She never comes for a cuddle in my arms like Lego does. She prefers either lying down on my bed against me and just stay there, or headbutt me - she LOVES headbutting knuckles. When she purrs, it's like a Boeing's engine is on!

As you can see, both my cats have totally different personalities, just like people, just like children. And I love them both accordingly - like my children.

Ten years ago, if anyone had told me that I'd have 2 cats in my house (and I'm slightly allergic to cat's hair, so thank you Loratadine all year long!), I would have laughed and replied, "Stop talking crazy!"
I'd never had pets when I was a child and, as a consequence, as well as other factors, I grew a fear for animals. Friends of my parents used to have a dog and would bring him when they would visit. He was so beautiful, Raff his name was, and even then I thought he was beautiful - from afar. As soon as he'd approach, a fear, panic, absolute terror would come over me. The story of that stray cat entering my house all over again!
A few years back, we had a gerbil - Mr Spock - and a hamster - R2D2 - but, bless them, they were not handled very often as, even then, I was scared to hold them. I really don't know what happened with Lego. I totally changed. The very first time I held him, it was like I knew how to hold him without fear, but with an unconditional love, like I did when my son was born. And, obviously, the same for Maya.

Now, I wouldn't, couldn't imagine my life without them. They both bring me peace, purpose, joy; they know when I feel not so great and are there to help me feel better. They bring me unconditional love, and I feel the same about them. I am so thankful to have them in my life, that our paths have crossed and brought us all together. They are a full part of this family unit, they are a full part of me. They make me complete, without conditions, without the need for transactions of any kind. Their love is always there...



No comments:

Post a Comment