Wednesday 15 April 2020

WHAT DO YOU WANT AND HOW DO YOU GET THERE


It's been a long time, I know.
Now that these crazy times put us on a stop (or at least a slow down), I am finally back on the blog.

Self- care is now, more than ever, essential to all of us, and it can take many forms - watching TV, DIY, gardening, creating, reading, playing music, connecting, cleaning...

I was off on holiday last week (at home, like most of us) and I started the free/pay as you want online class 7 Day Journaling Journey by Jennibellie (she was one of the first mixed media artists I followed and started creating from her good teachings). Journaling is something I had always wanted to do on a regular basis and I did try many times (Sunday journaling prompts) but couldn't get to stick to it. This class is making journaling more organised and focused, which is great to get you started and give you some confidence, and a lot easier to stick to as you dip in to the different techniques and journaling styles as you feel. Click HERE to go on Jennibellie's website and enroll in the class.

So from starting this practice, I remembered that I have had some of Melody Ross's online classes for quite a while and decided to pick up from where I last left off on the class The Walk. Finding what I want more of and less of in my life made me think about goals.

We all have goals, big and small, and they are all important. Now that most of us are stuck at home for a few good weeks, yes, it is nice to watch TV and chill, but it is also the perfect time to think about what you want out of life, how you want to feel. Finding goals are not always the easy part but surely a lot easier than planning how you are going to achieve that goal.
I have designed a mind map on the iMindMap Kids app (it's free and easy to use) to help you consider all aspects of your goals before you dive in as, with anything, complete awareness of the now and having all the facts at your disposal are essential before you can move forward. Otherwise, you'll just barge in blindly into situations like a bull in a china shop.



Many of us know what we DON'T want, but when you ask someone, "What do you want?", very often, it feels like a trick question. Because we are so used to looking after others, we tend to lose sight of what we really want out of life as we get distracted by others' needs and expectations. After all, we only notice what we don't want when it bugs us, but don't recognise what we want from it. By using what we know we don't want, we can work with opposites to know what we want - logical, right?
For example, if we have been cheated on, we know we don't want to be in such a situation as it is so hurtful, degrading and makes us lose our confidence and sense of worth. The opposite of cheating is being loyal, so it would make sense that what we want is LOYALTY. This helps to start with, for sure.

Melody Ross, in her online class The Walk (unfortunately no longer available online), makes it clear that goals where you have power on will be easier to plan and achieve. If your goal is that your ex loves you back, the entirety of your goal's potential success depends on SOMEONE ELSE making the decision. There is just no way you can prepare, plan and work for that because, whatever you do, the decision will lie in someone else's hands.
She has a journaling exercise that I absolutely loved and will use over and over in the future.

I want ____________ so that ____________ and that will bring me __________ so that _________________ , so that _____________. So what I really want is _________________ so that ________________.

It seems weird looking at this fill in journaling, but it makes a lot more sense when you can see an example so I will share with you one of mine to give you a better idea how this works:

"I want to exercise regularly so that I can feel better and more energised, so that I have the vitality to accomplish more and be more available to others and that will bring me more time available so that I can help more people so that I can feel complete and make a difference in this world. So what I really want is contribution to others so that I can help make this world a better, kinder place for everyone including me". I have to say, when I started with my health, I had no idea that this exercise would take me there. You just fill in the blanks, letting your thoughts flow, just like when someone asks you simple questions and you just answer in the most natural, truthful and simple way. You already know what you need and what you want truly, you just need to dig the dirt out from the top to clearly see it.

The mind map above will serve as your next step to prepare for your journey towards this goal, just like you would when you go on holiday in a place you've never been before.

The image below can be copied and pasted onto a Word or Publisher (or equivalent) document if you want to resize it and fill in the mind map with your own answers, to allow you more space for your writing.


Thinking about your goal, before, during and after will help you to better prepare.

And remember, it's all about the journey before you get there and all the lessons learnt. That's what is making us stronger and wiser.
Happy soul travelling.

Melody Ross's website and her Soul School


No comments:

Post a Comment