Saturday 18 July 2020

Book Nuts - July Reads, So Far...


One of my passions is reading, fiction and non-fiction. I love learning new things, exploring, understanding, as well as being transported to imaginary worlds and stories that help me escape my reality while also discovering other possibilities and other ways.

Books I've read so far in July are:

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron


This book is primarily meant as a 12-week course for creatives to enable them to evolve and truly produce soulful, truthful and purposeful creative work by honouring themselves, their work and embracing the sacred source of their inspiration. While I create quite sporadically, I read this book just as curiosity (however when I bought this book 2 years ago, I had a very different intent), but soon realised that all the concepts and exercises in this book can very easily relate to anything you'd like to achieve in your life. The book is also full of inspirational quotes, which is a bonus for me as I am addicted to quotes.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone, regardless of background, intention or motivation.
The biggest takeaway from this book for me is a process called "the morning pages" where you journal your thoughts in the form of stream of consciousness, first thing in the morning. So now, you can guess, I do morning journaling as well as evening journaling. I have only done my morning pages properly for about 3 days (the week before I was ending up writing them early afternoon as I would get distracted by my morning routine and Netflix!), so I cannot yet comment on its benefits, but I do enjoy it. I now keep my journal and a pen on my bedside table (it has helped tremendously on doing this process properly), and, when I wake up, grab them and write whatever comes to mind. Very satisfying.

Modern Witchcraft For Beginners by Rachel P. Green (on Amazon Kindle)


For the last 2/3 weeks, I have been binge-watching on the TV series Once Upon A Time, and the magic and witchcraft in it got hold of me and got me curious about witchcraft and spells. This little book took only a couple of days to read and was really interesting, explaining what witchcraft is and isn't, how it can be practised, learnt and organised, as well as rituals with nature. I very much enjoyed it, but haven't tried any spells - yet!

Song of the Dark Crystal by J.M. Lee


This book is volume 2 of The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance inspired novels. The story focuses on characters in the Netflix series not on centre stage, which gives a very interesting and complementary perspective to the story. This book, as was volume 1 Shadows of the Dark Crystal, is beautifully written, almost like prose poetry, but easy to understand, even for me for whom English is not their first language. I cannot wait to read volume 3. Love, love, LOVE this book series.

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle (Audiobook)


No big surprise surely that on a wellness and self-care/self-help website like mine, one of Eckhart Tolle's books should be mentioned. In my sincere opinion, this book should be read or listened to by every single person on this planet to be awakened, and that would most definitely transform our world instantly for the better. I found that this book is expanding on his first book, The Power of Now, which I also enjoyed very much last year. If you have never read any of his books, I would highly suggest starting with The Power of Now first. 
The audio version is narrated by Eckhart Tolle himself and his voice is an instant de-stressor, which is an extra bonus. On days when I have a migraine and cannot stand any sound or light, his voice is always the only very welcome soother for me.

Currently reading: The Map by Colette Baron-Reid


Colette is an intuitive counsellor mostly renowned for creating quite a few popular oracle decks (3 of them I have and absolutely love). This book is a guide to help you draw your own map of your life with all its beings and environments to help you see and embrace the life lessons given to you, as well as move forward in your path with meaning, purpose and joy. So far - I'm on Chapter 1 - it is very well and clearly written, with real life examples from her own story, which makes it easier to understand. From a review of the book I watched on YouTube, the book also deals with Shadow work, which is something I have been keen to do. Soul work cannot just be about the light, after all, if you want to understand all parts of yourself.

*****

I hope these reads will inspire you to try one (or 2, or 3, or all!)
If you have any book suggestions, or want to share any insights from books you loved, please add a comment below. Book ideas are always welcomed very warmly...


No comments:

Post a Comment