Wednesday 25 September 2019

What Song Are You?

If you should pick a song to represent you, which would it be?

Funny how other people’s words, such as quotes, lyrics, poems, can speak so much to us, in ways so deep that they feel like they uncover our true feelings and experiences, when words fail us to describe what we want to say.  

Like many people in this world, I’m sure, music and songs have always been part of my life - I’m not a singer or a musician, unfortunately (or fortunately!) but I’ve always considered music and songs in particular, a perfect way to feel what I was going through at the time. We all have songs dear to us, representing certain parts of our lives, events or remembering other people - every time I hear Depeche Mode’s “Just Can’t Get Enough”, I always think of my dad and can’t help but feel emotional. He loved this song so much; I made a mixed tape for car trips including this song and the tape soon died as he’d ask me to rewind that song so often.

Like many in this world, I have gone through shit, more than once, struggled, got betrayed by people I cared about and/or trusted. I got broken into so many little pieces that it took me years to get myself back together, the time the way I really wanted to be. For many years, all I could feel was despair, hatred, jealousy, resentment, anger, I had my dreams shattered and, through all that, music and songs helped me express what was stuck inside me. I felt emotionless and empty, except when I was listening to music. Thank god I’ve gone past that stage now, but I still cry at songs that are so close to my heart for all these reasons. They remind me of who I was, what I went through and who I have become.

 My song is Christina Aguilera’s “Fighter”: After all you put me through, You think I’d despise you, But in the end I wanna thank you ‘Cause you’ve made me that much stronger (...) After all of the stealing and cheating You probably think that I hold resentment for you But uh uh, oh no, you’re wrong ‘Cause if it wasn’t for all that you tried to do, I wouldn’t know  Just how capable I am to pull through So I wanna say thank you ‘Cause it Makes me that much stronger Makes me work a little harder It makes me that much wiser So thanks for making me a Fighter Made me learn a little faster Made my skin a little bit thicker Makes me that much smarter So thanks for making me a Fighter (...) You thought I would forget But I remembered ‘Cause I remembered I remembered” This song, to me , symbolises my journey and the person I have become despite the obstacles. What does your song say about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment